Our pigs are rotated on lush pastures and given grain soaked in whey from our cheese making. We produce our pork without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or antibiotics.
- What is Whey-Good Pork?
- Where can I get Whey-Good Pork?
- Why is it called Whey-Good Pork?
- What is whey?
- Where do the pigs live?
- Do you rotate the pigs like you rotate your cows?
- Q: What is Whey-Good Pork?
- Whey good pork is simply the best pork you can buy. It is raised responsibly, on pasture and fed whey from our cheese making. We do not use antibiotics, chemical fertilizers, or pesticides in the production of our pork. You can be assured that the food reaching your table is natural, pure, and delicious.
- Q: Where can I get Whey-Good Pork?
- Whey-Good pork is available as individual cuts at the James Ranch Market (see Find our Products Page for locations and times).
This year we are able to offer whole and half animals. Please call Gunther to reserve yours today.
- Q: Why is it called Whey-Good Pork?
- We soak grains in the whey from our cheese making to make a delicious and very nutritious food for our pigs. This along with the grass they eat comprises their diet.
- Q: What is whey?
- Whey is the liquid drained from the milk solids in the cheese making process (see the Cheese Making page for more information). It is comprised of lactose, water, and protein. It smells and tastes delicious!
- Q: Where do the pigs live?
- Once the pigs are old enough, they are put out on pasture where they supplement their diet with big mouths full of grass. They root, and run, and nap in the fresh air and sunshine. They live a happy, natural pig life.
- Q: Do you rotate the pigs like you rotate your cows?
- Absolutely! They get a fresh paddock of pasture when they have finished expressing their pigness on the previous pasture.